Date/Time: 2nd Saturday of each month, 10 AM – noon
Location: Emerald Hills
This study group is open to all guild members. We experiment with all different fiber arts from spinning, weaving, dyeing, jewelry and paper making.
Plans for 2020 (subject to change):
- January 11 – dryer balls
- January 18 – Textile Arts Council (Betsy C.)
- February 8 – sprang
- March 14 – twill inlay – p. 136 in Anne Field book
- April 11 – dying yarn (cotton) for towels
- May 9 – closures – both gluing and Fimo/polymer clay
- June 13 – double weave throw – p. 165 in Anne Field book
- July 11 – lavender wands
- August 8 – bead weaving
- September 12 – towels from Handwoven, Nov.-Dec. ’19 – p. 34
- October 10 – corn husk dolls
- November 14 – fabric necklaces
- December 12 – holiday brunch & planning
Plans for 2019 (subject to change):
- January 12 – rosepath
- February 9 –food color dye workshop (Karolyn)
- March 9 – felting with sander
- April 13 – felt pictures/needle felting
- May 11 – sun dying
- June 8 – eco printing
- July 13 – basket weaving (pine needles) (Betsy B’s house)
- August 10 – silk fusion
- September 14 – Kakishibu (Japanese dying with green persimmons)
- October 12 – brooms with broom corn (sorghum)
- November 9 – weaving with wavy beater
- December 7 – holiday brunch & planning
Plans for 2018 (subject to change):
- January 6 – crimp weave – NOTE: This is deliberately the FIRST Saturday of the month.
- February 10 – needle felting
- March 10 – dye and steam January project
- April 14 – tapestry (tentative)
- May 12 – Inkle weaving with Ruth
- June 9 – marbling (dye)
- July 14 – paper making – Marilyn (Los Altos)
- August 11 – Dorset buttons (Betsy’s house)
- September 8 – alcohol ink ornaments (Patt)
- October 13 – eco dye
- November 10 – transparency/leaf/rose path (Teddie)
- December 8 – holiday brunch & planning
- January 7* Tapestry weaving
- February 11 Felting (bring thrums)
- March 11 Silk fusion (bring thrums)
- April 8 Ice dying (bring shirts; consider ordering rayon shawls – Dharma)
- May 13 Indigo dying and clamping
- June 10 Solar printing (on paper? on fabric?)
- July 8 Dying with wood chips
- August 12 Field trip to Dharma
- September 9 Watch videos at Barbara’s
- October 14 Mud dying
- November 11 Dying with pine cones
- December 9 Holiday potluck, show & tell, and planning for 2018
Jan – v-shaped shawl
Feb – silk painting
Mar – dyeing fibers for felting
Apr – felting
May – dyeing with soy wax resist, solar dyeing with resist, sun dyeing with cyrro
Jun – saori weaving, pin weaving
Jul – bring your UFOs to work on – especially those from previous study group sessions – but any will be fine.
Aug – ice dyeing at Betsy’s house
Sept – pin weaving at Betsy’s house
Oct – woven book covers/place mats using items from garden – HW May/Jun 2015
Nov – dyeing warp and weft for weaving project
Dec – planning meeting and potluck
- January: We will make small, post-card sized, embellished cards.
- February: 1st part of a 3-part activity – combining weaving and knitting in a garment. Maryanne will also show us her method of combining knitting and weaving on a knitting loom.
- March: warping with multiple colors, Gloria-method
- April: leaf patterning using bleach solution & rust staining/transfer on cloth for garments .
- May: 2nd part of combining weaving and knitting – working on project.
- June: surface printing techniques.
- August: Field trip to Tech. Shop.
- September: Meeting cancelled.
- October: Spinning – different ways to combine yarns into thicker yarns.
- November: 3rd part of combining weaving and knitting – knitting portion.
- December: Social potluck and planning for 216.
- January : Patt led us in more Kumihimo braiding, including flat braids and a new button closure technique.
- February: We will be making bags for the CNCH 2014 guild display.
- March: Try out some Anita Mayer techniques.
- April: Silk reeling.
- May: Time to do some dyeing! Natural dyes.
- June: Glass making in Half Moon Bay.
- July: Ice dyeing with Sue Hans.
- August: Weaving workshop with Teresa Ruch.
- September: Time to dye! We will paint yarn/fabric.
- October and November: Our topic will be felting.
- December: We will have our annual holiday potluck brunch and planning for 2015 activities!
Photos from past activities
Gloria’s wall hangings – seen on a field trip
Cookie introduced us to Saori weaving
Making twining looms
Contact the group
For more information or to join, contact Betsy Blosser. (Contact information in the Membership Directory.)